Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Party Animal!

So this post is a week late, but better late than never!

It was my BIRTHDAY!!! And I love my birthday.  I don't care that I just turned 26 (or am still 30 according to the Price family's rounding rule.... If you are under 5 then you can round down, once you hit the 5 you round up... for example, when you are 24 you are only 20, but when you turn 25 you are now 30, therefore I am still 30...)  Usually when I am at home working I make sure to tell Lindsay Pitcher (one of the hygienists I work w/) every day that my birthday is coming up, and she always does something really cute and thoughtful, and now I have made her promise to always tell me when her birthday is so that I can return the fun!  (Although apparently taking a cake to work doesn't always go over so well).  Anyways, I couldn't harass Lindz that my birthday was coming up, and we are 14 hours ahead here so when I was celebrating my birthday here everyone in Canada was sleeping.  Also I thought that since we were flying on my birthday that maybe they would at least tell me happy birthday at the ticket counter, or as we were boarding the flight, or maybe even give me a little treat on the plane.... but no one did.  (But don't worry I did talk to my parents for a few minutes and my mom gave me her fancy Marilyn Monroe rendition of happy birthday, which I also always look forward to. And the day AFTER my birthday was very full of birthday wishes which was lovely....)

But my point is that even without all of the fun happy birthday's and acknowledgements that you generally get on your birthday it was still a really awesome day.  I mean I was in Japan!  With my very best friend!  And he took me to the zoo!  I woke up to a really thoughtful sweet letter that he had written me, and then we packed up and checked out, it was our last day in Japan.  We decided to go to McDonalds and indulge in a birthday breakfast treat.  Have you ever had the hot cake, egg, sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich?  It's like the egg McMuffin, but a million times better (and fattier I'm sure, but it's my birthday right?)  and then to top it all of we had Chocoring!  We had hunted it down the night before, made a special trip on the subway when we got into Tokyo just so I could have it as my birthday cake.  What a great husband.

After we had stuffed ourselves we went to the zoo.  It was not a spectacular zoo, but it was a zoo nonetheless.  Although we did decide that we had found the most busy place in Japan!  There were school groups EVERYWHERE! And they all had matching hats (well each school had different matching hats).  I think the highlight was seeing the Silverback and the other gorillas.  There was a baby gorilla drumming on one of the other gorilla's heads, and the other gorilla would just swat the baby away. and where ever big papa moved to everyone else moved away.

We also saw the Hokkaido Brown Bear, which Lockey put in the previous post, and he was the biggest dang bear I have ever seen!  It was funny when we were hiking Lockey said he would punch a bear in the face... and then when we actually saw the bear that was on the warning signs Lockey said he would NOT punch that bear in the face!  It was pretty funny, and we were really glad that we sang loudly as we walked and walked and walked... No bear is going to mess w/ a couple of Canadians singing Christmas Carols in October (I think after Karaoke they just stuck... and they are the only songs we both know all the way through.... other than Primary songs, which we also sang).

After finishing my Chocoring at the zoo we headed off for our flight, which went smoothly and normally, with no extra treats... BUT Lockey did humour me, and would all of a sudden stop and act surprised and say "What?  It's your birthday?  I didn't know it was your birthday!  Happy Birthday!"  Or he would break into the happy birthday song, and he did this over and over just to see me smile.

Oh I also forgot that the night before he took me out for dinner, and we got pepper lunch in a random alley, and then went for a hot chocolate, my fall and winter indulgence, and I got a cake pop, which I'd never had, and am now in love with!  And on the way up to the starbucks (Which was on the 8th floor of a building) we went through the jewelry section where Lockey found a store that he thought would be my style and even found earrings that he thought I would like.  And I did, so he got to buy me a present after all.  (I figured that the trip and the Chocoring were good enough!)

So anyways, back to the airport, random story.  As we are eating dinner at the airport Lockey all of a sudden says "can you hear the music?"  So I stop and listen and then all of a sudden I realize that it is "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"  and then the next song is "Abide With Me"... and then some Lady Gaga and Katy Perry started playing... It was so random and kind of cool to hear that, I'm sure that one of the employees just had their iPod put on shuffle or something, but it was cool to hear that all the way in the Tokyo airport.

All in all, it was a great 2 day birthday as I got to celebrate on the 25th in Japan (Which was the 24th in Canada and the day that my adorable nephew Lucas Kayden was born, this will be the only year we ever got to celebrate "together" and we were halfway across the world!)  and then on the 26th in Hong Kong because it was the 25th in Canada and that's when everyone sent me lots of loving birthday messages.  It's great to feel loved and realized how many friends and family you have!  Thanks everyone for a great birthday, especially Lockey!


No comments:

Post a Comment