Thursday, November 17, 2011

Smelly Delhi Belly

We arrived at the hospital on Monday afternoon almost 24 hours after I started being sick.   We went to the Jessa Ram hospital in Delhi, I had stopped throwing up for a couple of hours so we thought it would be safe to take a trip to the hospital, but I took a bucket w/ me just in case... Which the nurses all kind of laughed and asked what my bucket was for (it was the hotels, so I had to drag it around w/ me, and it had Doraemon on it... a cartoon character...) Anyways I didn't need it.  


This was me in the hospital after they decided they were going to have to admit me for the night.  I waited here while they did paperwork, and our taxi driver Y.P. Sharma hung out by the bed like my body guard and got Lockey some water so I could take some pills they gave me, and Lockey did the paperwork... Notice there aren't enough pillows to go around!  (We also saw a really old dead man come in, and they started doing CPR on him, but I'm not sure it worked... not a lot of privacy in the initial area we went to...)


So they put me on a Saline drip, with some intravenous antibiotics.  They worked quickly and efficiently, and I was not the first person to arrive w/ the "Delhi Belly".  (I think it is more accurate to say "Smelly Delhi Belly")  

Well my visit turned into 2 nights in the hospital, w/ hardly anything to eat for almost 72hours because I had no appetite (which trust me, NEVER happens) and the hospital food was terrible.  So I was feeling pretty weak.  And then when I did get a bit of soup Lockey had to feed me b/c they put the IV in my right hand and it was swollen and hurt a lot (I think they hit a nerve, b/c it still hurts a bit... I'll survive though...)   So Lockey got to be my full time nurse.  He helped to feed me and even brushed me teeth!  (Now he's a pro b/c he got tips from his hygienist!) ... It's nice to know that he's capable of taking care of me if needed!  


The nurses were all really sweet, ( I especially liked Dindee and Jubee... I told Jubee her name reminded me of candy... I'm not sure she understood) and the doctors were very helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable.  They had recommended that we stay for at least another day, but we had a plane to catch the day they wanted me to be discharged so we asked them to give me oral antibiotics as I could now keep them down.  The Dr. said this would be ok, and discharged me on request on Thursday morning after they had to switch my IV to my left hand b/c my right hand had gotten so swollen that the drip was not going in my vein anymore, and after my morning dose of antibiotics.

Oh, but 2 funny things that happened... First they work on Indian time... kind of like Island time, or Mormon standard time I guess... Everything is always later than they say it will be.  "The doctor will be in at 8:30" (He showed up at 10 and then said I must not be feeling very good b/c I was more chipper in the morning... I pointed out that it was 10:00pm, and I would have rather been sleeping than waiting for his visit).  "We'll be in at 6:00am to give you your final dose of antibiotics".  They arrived at around 7am after Lockey harassed them.  We were supposed to leave by 8am, but then they had problems w/ the paperwork so Lockey was dealing w/ that and I was sort of trying to get a little cleaned up (not much though...)  and waiting for them to take the IV needle out of my hand.  I went up to reception and they told me to wait in my room.  So I did... then I buzzed and no one came... So I decided to take the IV out myself... I got the antiseptic hand wash on some tissue so I could wipe my hand after I took it out, and I had a bandaid all ready to go, and I was removing all of the tape on my hand when a nurse came in and thwarted my plans.... I was just about to pull it out, and I was going to be really proud of myself too, but she tsk tsked at me and took it out herself.  ( I think I would have done a better job though). 

Secondly, while I was waiting so patiently in my room  (patience is definitely one of my strong suits...) A young lady came in wearing the cleaners uniform, and she took away some of my garbage from my dinner the night before.  She then pointed at herself and me and said something that I totally didn't understand... So I thought she was introducing herself.  Lots of people had come in to introduce themselves and I'm still unsure who half of them were, or why they were there.  Anyways, I introduced myself too.  Then she shook her head pointed at herself and said what I think was "commission".  And then pointed at me again, and then rubbed her thumb back and forth against her fingers in the "money" gesture.  I finally realized she wanted me to pay her for tidying up my room.  But she had hardly done anything, there were two guys who did the sweeping and tidying in the bathroom, and she had only just cleared away some dishes.  So I said "You want me to pay you?"  and she nodded.  "Don't you get paid by the hospital?"  she nodded.  And I said "I'm not paying you." And she stormed out.  I hadn't even had my sheets changed once in my whole visit.  Don't try and scam me lady!  

So I'm sure you all want to know the nitty gritty details of my hospital visit.  The sheets were tattered, but the staff was great.  The building was a bit dilapidated, but I had TV.  The food was terrible, but they were pretty efficient and thorough (They even did a chest X-ray and an ultrasound!), but they didn't wear any PPE (That's personal protective equipment for any of you non healthcare providers out there... aka gloves masks etc.), but they had sani wipe at the end of the bed, I didn't have to share a room either which was nice.  All in all, it accomplished what needed to be done, it wasn't an enjoyable experience, but is it ever when you go to the hospital?  
Yes I wore this dress the entire time I was in the hospital... and the next day... and the day before... don't judge me! 
And I must add that Lockey was a great husband and hung out at the hospital with me almost the whole time, other than to get some food for himself, or talk to insurance, etc.  Thanks Lockey!  (And we got to watch all 3 Home Alone movies b/c they were on Star Movies... Oh how I love Christmas movies!)



2 comments:

  1. So sorry about the misery you endured but glad that the medical care was competent. You did get to see some amazing things prior to your collapse. Hope all is well now.
    Aunt Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami, I am so glad you are okay! You guys sure know how to have a great adventure. I sorta hate reading your blog, it makes my life seem very boring!! Have fun and I am glad you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete