Thursday, September 22, 2011

Celebrities Wax On, Wax Off!

On Monday we went to Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum at The Peak... rather than hiking up this time we took the tram.  Wise choice.  I don't know if we have ever mentioned how HOT it is here, but it is dang hot, and super humid.  It has been a teeny bit cooler this past week, which we are enjoying but if you want to enjoy a museum w/out being sweaty, it's best not to hike there.  So these pictures are pretty fun.  We had a great time being silly and seeing the crazy wax celebrities... and FYI it takes 1 person 140 hours to put a full head of hair on one of the wax figures.  They do it strand by strand.





Lockey was very surprised at how tall Nicole Kidman was! 


We got to play dress up!  

Lockey looked prettier in the skirt. This wax model actually spun to music when you twisted the key! Very cool, and her dress was super intricate.

I have vampire fangs, so this was fitting.  

I read a book called Madam Tussaud and it was all about the wax museum she had in Paris and the french revolution, so it was cool to see the time line behind us in this picture as well as some pictures from back in the day.  And I was shocked to see how tiny Marie Tussaud was!  That's Crazy!


The bloody heads were actually "death masks" made from the heads of people that were killed by the guillotine, and this is a picture of some of the original ones she made.  She made some of Robespierre and King Louis XVI as well as his wife Marie Antionette.  She did this only to preserve her own life. 


Naught naughty Saddam Hussein....

Lockey is not a fan of Hitler

It was funny, Lockey was shaking his head in this picture... Apparently he had some tips for Shakespeare.

Anyone know who this artist is?  The name has now slipped my mind... but he does good work ;)

Einstein and his brilliant protege....

I'd say Hitchcock looks pretty scary here... 

This picture is for Ethan! We totally met Spiderman! We said hi for you!


Oh is that Victoria Beckham?

Yao's totally getting stuffed

Pretty sure it looks like I'm in a romance w/ this Asia dude... don't worry it was all Lockey's idea.

Lockey and his gay pirate friend
Lockey was very popular during this photo shoot... the Asians thought he was hilarious... we couldn't understand what they were saying... (probably something about how he's a lady boy or something), but they were all laughing! 

Lockey advising Tiger on golf, not women.  

Again, we had quite the audience while we were dressing up!  This was a lot of fun... and I actually have cleave! 

Lockey's got a great butt! 

apparently smelling your opponents armpits gives you an advantage.... 

That was the first punch... I wouldn't stick around for the backlash!

Ain't nothin but a hound dog!

K he's like a lot skinnier than me... eat a sandwich. 

Lockey fits right in! 

Who knew Lady Gaga was so mini?  or that in Asia they call her Gaga Lady... See the sign in the background.


Lockey is way too much fun! 
Madonna is Lockey's backup dancer

View from the peak 

We are singing in this picture... In West Philadelphia born and raised, quick finish that line! 

We're pretty much gangsters.... I mean gangstas.... 

Game over!

4 comments:

  1. on a playground is where I spent most of my days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me what the Madame Tussaud book is called!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing likenesses. You guys are such good sports, but I know it makes it that much more fun for you.

    You two always look so darn put together. Do you have a laundromat close by or did you just buy a whole lot of new clothes?

    Continued fun and safe travels! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten!!! I knew you would know the lyrics! Ha! And I also want to know if you remember singing Ain't nothin but a hound dog in my parent's computer room... I thought of you as I wrote that! :) And we miss you too! I always smile when I read your comments! Love you lots!

    Judy: it's called Madam Tussaud by Michelle Moran, it was a great book for the last 3rd... the first 2/3rds of the book were a little slow, but LOVED the last bit, but for 2 REALLY great reads, try Michelle Morans "Nefertiti" and "The Heretic Queen", I LOVED those 2, you have to read Nefertiti first. (Cleopatras daughter came after those 2 and it was good, but not as good..)

    Auntie Lil! Thanks for the kind compliments, they made me smile this morning, and I would definitely have shared my mango w/ you, plenty to go around! :) And as for laundry, there is no such thing as a laundromat here, you have to get your laundry done. The first place we went to wrecked my yellow silk shirt, they separated the fabric in the pits, probably from rubbing it, who knew that you could ruin something at the dry cleaners? So we went to a different place this time, and only did undies and workout gear, and they did better... but it still makes me nervous b/c I"m so particular! I wish I could buy new clothes... I just looked at anthropologie on line and am in LOVE w/ some of their things.... How's retirement treating you? Your keeping busy w/ volunteering? Love you!

    ReplyDelete