Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hippy Hub and Rainforest Rendezvous Complete With Frickety Frackety Leeches!

When morning came it was pretty rainy, cloudy and cold so we woke up slower than usual and had banana pancakes before I went out for a surf session. The surf was a lot bigger today and the current was pretty nasty. I managed to get one really good wave, like down the wave bottom, turn, little cut back left, pump over the wash, ride the wave as it dies, then get on the front for the reform, then I pumped out the second break all the way in. The other ones I caught weren't as good, but it's worth it even if you only get that one really good one.

We decided that we had enjoyed Byron and Ballina area enough so we started to head up to Nimbin, where all the hippies went after Byron got too Yuppieish for them, it's the hippy capital of Aussie. It was a great little drive, it would have been awesome on the motorbike full of hills and bends and curves. It was a good time. In Nimbin we were offered weed a couple of times, and shrooms once, but resisted the temptation each time. We went into a bunch of different head shops and saw more hemp, smelt more B.O., and inhaled enough incense to last us a while. We found a nice little cafe selling a falafel and hummus platter that looked delicious and used their wireless network to catch up on the real world.

Apparently my mom was reading a book with Prycen that had a world map on it and she pointed to Australia and told Prycen that that's where we were right now. The day after Sheena was reading the same book with him and pointed to Australia and said C-Ami and Lockey while pointing to Australia. He is such an awesome little nephew.

After catching up with the rest of the world through facetiming and emails we wanted to see some of Australia's rainforest. So up into the hills we went and were not disappointed.

On the way to the Borderlands National park we saw a wild Peacock, - really beautiful bright blue head and feathers - and wait for it....... Kangaroos!!!! They were hopping around in a farmer's field!!! They share a lot of the same mannerisms with deer, they kind of stare at you and aren't really sure what your doing there and if they are ok with it, or if they should bound away. It was really neat to seem them just eating the grasses and hopping along.

Then we made it up into the real rainforest, foggy mist everywhere, and ferns and huge moss covered trees. We went on a little walk/hike, I called it a wike, and it was cool to see the big trees and the other interesting plants. So as we're walking all of sudden I hear Cami freaking out, "get them off me" "get them off me" "get them off me!!!" Cami had little leaches all over her shoes. They were just little guys and they moved like slinkies and I thought they were all sorts of fun to watch, but Cami REALLY didn't like them. She isn't freaked out by much and likes spiders and other bugs, but these ones she didn't like. So I cleaned her legs and shoes all up a couple of times on our hike and we made it back to the van with a bit of daylight left. As we are driving to our camp site, I feel something kind of wet on my calf, so I reach down and try to wipe it off only to feel a thick fat leach stuck to the back of my leg. I pull him off and there is blood all over my leg and fingers where I had pulled him off. I'm laughing and Cami's freaking out, but thinks its funny that it's on me and not on her.

We get to our campground finally, with a little bit of light to spare and get ourselves set to write some blogs have some mac and cheese and maybe watch a movie, if we have some battery left. We'll see.


Well, this has been a lot of all at once blogging, without a lot of reflection or comment. So, here is some while I'm writing. Australia is gorgeous. Rolling hills of green and just lush forest lined with amazing beaches. The surf is amazing and beautiful, just watching a place like Snapper Rock with lines upon lines of surf rolling in is breathtaking. The sun is hot, when its out, but it has been pretty cloudy and rainy at some point during each day. The mornings are hotter and usually there is a storm that rolls in, in the afternoon. The people are so friendly and it is nice to hear english everywhere again, even though we have a hard time understanding their accent and I can tell that they have a hard time understanding us some times. - sidenote story, when I was picking up my board from this girl named Karney, I asked at the front desk for Karney, sounds like barney. I repeated myself a couple of times and then she said, "ohhh you mean Kahnay," - ya the accent is different, but everyone is awesome and funny, and fun loving and they like to add "y"s on everything. Take an english word shorten it and add a "y" on the end of it and you'll have an aussie word. Christmas = Chrissy. Presents = Pressy or Pressies. Brisbane = Brissy.

Cami's Australian sentence, "We are going to have brekky at the Uni in Brisy, then head down for a barby in Cooly and get some Chrissy Pressies"

No comments:

Post a Comment